Wednesday 12 September 2012

Inexpensive Giving


For those who read this previous blog post you would know that I have been running a program called Shine at the school I work at with the year 7 girls. The program covers three main topics of Worth, Strength and Purpose. 

For one of the strength sessions I made these strength rocks in the above picture for each of the girls to have. The session topic was about resilience and having an ability to bounce back, to draw strength from within to overcome hardships we may face in life. 

Throughout this program I have found that the girls absolutely love getting small gifts ( I mean who doesn't love getting free things?) But more than that, you can see that they are touched by the fact that someone would take the time and spend the money on each of them. They can tell that what we are talking to them about throughout this program are things which we value and believe to be important enough to give them something to remember what we shared. 

If you are in charge of running a program or ever do motivational talks, I would encourage you to take some time to think of what small gift you give to your audience. It doesn't have to be expensive. In fact, the bag of rocks I bought cost $2.50 and I simply used a permanent marker to write words on it. 

It took me no-longer than half and hour, yet I know it left a lasting impact on the lives of the young girls who took one home.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts...