Friday 13 April 2012

Covers for a Cause

 


Today I saw something in the add section on my facebook page and clicked to discover that Virgin Mobile have started this great little initiative with a youth support network to raise funds to end youth homelessness.

Make a statement and Make a difference! All proceeds from buying these four particular phone cases will go toward Oasis Youth Support Network in Sydney. 

 As it stands 32 000 young people aged between 16-25 don't have a place to call home.

Homelessness is one of those easy to avoid social issues. It isn't generally something you see on your drive home from work or in your street. Or. When you do see someone who appears to be homeless you tend to cross to the other side of the road or just walk by avoiding eye contact at all costs. Or. perhaps whenever someone approaches you asking for money you find it easier to lie that you don't have any cash on you than to pull out your wallet and hand them some money, or it worries you that perhaps they are just wanting to spend the money on drugs or cigarettes and therefore you are left with a moral dilemma-to give or not to give?

I remember one time after catching a train to the city I was approached by a lady who looked a little shabby in appearance asking for money. My natural instinct in this situation would be to ignore or politely decline her request, however I thought why don't I offer to buy her some food instead? So I did. I said something along the lines of me not wanting to give her money, but I'd be happy to buy her some food if she would like. She gladly accepted the offer and we walked together to a near by shop. I remember buying her a BBQ chicken (and hopefully something else but I don't remember what?). She said thank you and then we parted ways.

Ok, so I know I didn't invite her to stay at my house, or pray for her or even share the Gospel with her...but I lived the Gospel- They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’ “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’ Matthew 25:44-45
.
I'm not trying to make myself sound like a super hero of the faith, but simply reflecting on how I chose to respond to this situation. I think many of us have the opportunity to choose a different response to situations we face throughout our weeks or days than what comes naturally to us.

Homelessness in Australia is a growing problem, especially amongst our youth whether or not we would like to admit it. How will you respond next time someone in need approaches you? 

And for now, why not check out these awesome phone covers on the Virgin Mobile Facebook Page or pop into any Virgin mobile store nation wide to pick up your phone cover-make a statement and make a difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts...