Saturday 26 May 2012

I'm a Happy Chappy

 
Whew. What a busy week it has been. Between being sick, prayer meetings, state of origin round 1 and family catch ups, I have not even had time to spend hunched up on the computer devouring my screen with all wonderful blog posts from the beautiful blogs I follow let alone post anything new on my own. And now I sit here with a few spare moments before I have to cook dinner (considering we have eaten out EVERY night this week I really gotta cook something) and then go off to watch the screening of the 58 Film I blogged about last weekend. I noticed the film is being shown internationally so check out this site to see if its coming to anywhere near you...

Anyways. I wanted to give a brief shout out to Chaplains this week as it is after all Chaplains Week

So what is a Chaplain?
"SU Qld Chaplains provide spiritual and emotional support to school communities. They are in the prevention and support business: helping students find a better way to deal with issues ranging from family breakdown and loneliness to drug abuse, stress and anxiety. They provide a listening ear and a caring presence for kids in crisis and those who just need a friend. They also provide support for staff and parents in school communities."

What do Chaplains do (practically speaking)?
Chaplains run lunch clubs, breakfast clubs, organize events and games, support staff and parents, talk with students in a one on one session, go on school camps, run Chapel services and a whole list of other things. 

Pretty much Chaplains get to love on the students, families and staff of schools both public and private. Chaplains are not just found in schools, but also in the army, in the mines, and other communities. Recently Australia had the High Court case trying to get Chaplains out of schools, however due to the outcry from schools, and the general public opposing this motion, the High Court ruled that schools can still choose whether or not they want a Chaplain. 

I was very glad to hear the High Courts ruling as I myself am a Primary School Chaplain. I work at a Christian school in a low socio-economic area. I love going to work each day as I get to hang out and love on the most beautiful kids in the world (I'm allowed to be biased)! I love not only the children but the staff are an incredibly dedicate and passionate group of individuals who constantly give of themselves above and beyond their call of duty. The moto of our school is Educating for Eternity... and that is the driving force behind all we do. 

To all the Chaplains out there, I take my hat off to you because I know the hard work, heart ache, sacrifice and energy that goes into our job... A very Happy Chappy Week to all:) 
I got spoiled from the staff and kiddos...


How has your week been? I'd love to hear!  Can you believe its almost June??? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts...